Soup and salad are your two best friends.
They’re nutritious and versatile, and you can whip them up with just about any ingredients or left-overs you have in the house. This soup is a hearty treat and made more special with the addition of the pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin seed topping.
- 2 carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 stalk celery sliced in 1/8 inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 4 T. vegetable broth
- 1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans of water (use the empty tomato can)
- 3 cups kale, stems removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 yam peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 c. elbow macaroni (made from corn, gluten free)
- 1 can Navy beans rinsed thoroughly
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
- 3-5 grinds of fresh black peppercorns
- 6 T. pumpkin seeds
- lemon for garnish (optional)
- Heat vegetable broth in large soup pot on low. Saute carrots, celery, garlic and shallot in broth until soft about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Add kale and yam. Reduce heat to medium, keeping a slow boil. Cook for an additional ten minutes, until yam is tender.
- Add pasta and cook for an additional ten minutes until pasta is tender.
- Add beans, salt, pepper and pumpkin pie spice. Heat 1-2 minutes until fully incorporated and beans are heated through.
- Discard bay leaf and serve. Top each bowl with 1 T. pumpkin seeds and a half-slice of lemon.