After changing to a plant-based diet, I missed scrambled eggs. But using crumbled tofu in this colorful hash gives you the texture, satisfaction and TASTE of scrambled eggs because it takes on the flavor of all the ingredients mixed with it.
Even people who don’t think they will like tofu will like this – the secret is using extra firm tofu which has a dense, not mushy texture, and mixing it with flavorful ingredients so you have the texture of the scrambled egg, but the flavor of a wonderful Mexican breakfast. You won’t taste the tofu – you’ll just feel the heartiness of a scrambled egg Mexican breakfast – even the torn tortillas are mixed in, so it’s very hearty and satisfying.
You can add hot sauce to give it a kick but it’s flavorful even without it. The squeeze of lime before serving gives it an authentic flavor and adds some delicious and healthy citrus to your meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 c. diced red onion
- 2 c. diced green pepper (stems and seeds discarded)
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into triangular shapes (stack tortillas, cut in half, then quarters, then eights to form 8 triangles each)
- 2-12 oz. packages extra firm tofu, crumbled into large bite-sized pieces
- 4 c. purple miniature potatoes, sliced thin and boiled until soft (you can use any potato, but I use these for the color)
- 2 c. sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 c. grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 T. lemon
- 2 T. powdered mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c. chopped cilantro leaves (stems removed and discarded)
- 3 limes, halved
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Bottled Hot Sauce, any brand (optional)
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Sauté red onion and green pepper in oil until soft.
- Add tortillas and sauté until soft and starting to brown.
- Add tofu, potatoes, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, lemon, and mustard powder. Heat through until warm about 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, add chopped cilantro.
- Serve with sliced avocado and lime wedges and hot sauce.
- Sprinkle with lime juice and hot sauce (optional) and enjoy. Serves six.