Who needs dairy when you can get all of the creaminess you can handle from cauliflower and this soup's secret ingredient, macadamia nuts. (Okay, the secret's out).
This is a comfort food that was inspired by a decadent soup I had on a cruise ship. I replaced the butter and cream with 1 T. of olive oil and 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts. The recipe still tastes delicious but the cholesterol has jumped overboard and is nowhere to be found.
This is a true comfort food you can cozy up with on a cold night or any time you want to feel pampered. It has the richness of creamy mashed potatoes without the guilt. Even if you don’t like cauliflower, you’ll never know it’s in here because it’s been blended to oblivion. All you’ll taste is creamy goodness.
- 4 c. diced cauliflower florets (gold colored cauliflower was used for this recipe, but any color will do)
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1/4. c. green onion diced (white part only) greens can be used for garnish or saved
- for other recipes
- 1/2 c. macadamia nuts, soaked in water about 30 minutes (you can soak these
- while preparing the other ingredients)
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 T. salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups water plus ¼ c. for sautéing
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (see recipe)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in soup pot. Saute green onion in oil. Add chopped cauliflower and carrots, thyme and ¼ cup water and continue to saute for another five minutes, until vegetables start to get tender. Add remaining water and boil for 30 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat and carefully ladle into blender. Rinse and drain the macadamia nuts and add to blender. Mix until fully incorporated. Add salt/pepper to taste. Pour into six bowls. Garnish with fresh ground black pepper and fresh thyme.