This is a twist on traditional chili with a lighter flavor, using either white beans or garbanzo beans and the fresh taste of fennel.
The macadamia sour cream creates an authentic and creamy chili topping without the dairy – you’re going to want to make extra and use it with any recipe that calls for sour cream.
- 1 package firm tofu, drained, rinsed, and crumbled (recommended non-GMO brand, House Foods)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2. T chili powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1/2 t. hot sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes (brand Muir Glen Organic)
- 1 14 oz can garbanzo beans (or white beans) rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. crushed fennel seed
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado sliced
- Macadamia Sour Cream (recipe below)
Macadamia Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup soaked macadamia nuts (soaked in water for at least two hours and drained)
- 6T. water
- 2T. lemon juice
- 1 T. grape seed oil
- 1/4 t. lemon zest
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 clove garlic
- Put crumbled tofu, onion and garlic is large pot. Saute until vegetables are translucent, about five minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir until heated through. Cook on low heat until all flavors are blended, about 20 minutes. Serve and top with chopped red onion, avocado, cilantro and macadamia sour cream. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serves four bowls or eight cups.
- The chili can also be served on top of brown rice.
- Sour Cream – Mix all ingredients in small food processor except oil. When ingredients are fully blended, slowly pour oil in steady stream until mixture is fully blended. Makes approximately 8 T. of sour cream.