This is good old-fashioned comfort food that's so easy to make, but still let's people know you care.
Kids and adults will enjoy the crispy tart apples with the warm maple drizzle. Be sure to use real maple syrup and not a corn-syrup pancake topping poser. Maple syrup is a nutrient-rich natural sweetener and includes zinc, calcium and thiamine.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 cups oatmeal, (quick oats, cooked according to package directions)
- 4 granny smith apples – chop three into small dices. Cut fourth apple in crescent-shaped slices for garnish.
- ¼ c. chopped pecans
- 1.5 T. pure maple syrup
- 1/8 t. lemon zest
- 1/4 t. cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Mix the chopped apple with pecans, syrup, zest, cinnamon and salt over low heat in saucepan until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Cook oatmeal and place in parfait glasses or bowls.
- Top with apple mixture and sliced apples.