This is a simple, but hearty soup.
It’s such a classic “basic” soup recipe, you can even use it as a basis for more complex soups. For example, add some additional cooked vegetables like chopped broccoli, corn or cauliflower. Or enjoy the simplicity as is with some crusty bread and a crisp, green salad.
Total Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (Silk brand)
- 1/8 t. nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Put 3 T. of the vegetable stock in a soup pot on medium high heat and sauté the leeks until soft and translucent tender, about five minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for twenty minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Add salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with chopped chives and fresh ground nutmeg.
- Serve with bread and garden salad.