I'd like to acknowledge www.Food52.com for the pesto recipe.
I modified it a bit by adding an extra clove of garlic and I used half the oil. The richness of the pesto is offset by the fresh arugula. The carrots and zucchini also add crunch and contrast.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 – 8 servings
- 16 oz. of bowtie pasta
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 6 cups of escarole
Pesto Sauce Ingredients (adapted recipe from www.Food52.com)
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 2 T. Nutritional Yeast
- Place basil, pine nuts and garlic in food processor until coarsely ground.
- Turn the motor on and drizzle the olive oil in a thin stream.
- Add the salt, pepper, lemon and nutritional yeast and pulse until combined.
- Boil pasta according to package directions.Drain pasta. Add vegetables and combine. Add pesto sauce enough to fully coat pasta and vegetables. Serve remaining pesto sauce on side. Serve pasta mixture on top of arugula.