If you've ever had the pleasure of dunking a piece of bread into your mom's pasta sauce while it was simmering on the stove, you're going to love this soup.
By adding roasted eggplant to a jar of quality tomato sauce, you’ve got a hearty soup that tastes like you’ve spent hours on it. The special flavor comes from the roasted eggplant, giving it a rich and robust flavor. The toasted walnuts add a wonderful crunch.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 jar tomato sauce, preferred brand, Classico Tomato & Basil
- 1 T. agave nectar
- 6 T. chopped walnuts
- 1 loaf of sliced vegan Italian bread
- olive oil
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise. Salt the inside of the eggplant and place salted side down on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Roast under the broiler for 25-30 minutes, until the inside is soft.
- While eggplant is roasting, chop the walnuts and toast in a small, dry frying pan. Heat until they turn lightly brown. Set aside
- Scoop out the inside of eggplant and place contents in a bowl. Discard skins and stems. There will be both solid and liquid from the eggplant. Mash the eggplant with a fork until it is thoroughly combined. Put in a pan and add pasta sauce. Heat thoroughly. Top with toasted walnuts and parsley. Serve with lots of bread for dunking and a green salad.