We all crave fast food sometimes
But this impostor can give you the feel of a “Mc” muffin sandwich without the guilt. The extra firm tofu takes on the texture of the egg and an amazing cheese called “Ciao” gives you a creamy texture that will beat a breakfast sandwich that comes out of a drive through window any day!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 20
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 (14-ounce) packages extra firm Tofu
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (preferred brand Bragg’s)
- 1/2 t. onion powder
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. turmeric
- 1/2 t. salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 8 vegan English Muffins
- 8 slices vegan cheese (recommended brand Ciao Coconut Herb)
- Olive oil
- 8 cups seasonal fruit
- Optional: salsa, hot sauce, tomato slices
- Drain tofu and put each block on a plate wrapped in several layers of paper towels. Put an additional plate on top of the tofu and a heavy can on top of the plate. Allow the weight to remove the excess water from the tofu by letting it sit for 20 minutes.
- While tofu is draining, mix flour, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, salt and pepper, and pour onto a flat plate.
- Cut each tofu block lengthwise twice until you have eight slabs. Cut a disc of tofu out of each slab using a round 3-inch cookie cutter. If you don’t have a cookie cutter, you can simply cut the tofu into circles. There will be additional tofu remaining after the discs are cut out. Save for snacks, blend in smoothies or use in other recipes.
- Dredge each disc of tofu into the dry mixture to coat the top and bottom. Shake off excess mixture. Heat a small amount of oil onto a non-stick skillet and fry the tofu on both sides until heated through.
- Toast the muffins and place a disc of tofu in each muffin bottom. Put slices of cheese on top of the tofu disc and add the muffin top. Place in the oven or microwave until the cheese starts to melt. Serve each muffin with a cup of fresh fruit.