There is no aroma that takes me back to my childhood faster than the smell of peppers roasting in the oven.
Even though they take longer to prepare than roasted peppers from a jar, they are worth the effort. As a child, Roasted Pepper and Sausage sandwiches were not only common at home, but at street fairs, since I grew up in a neighborhood with a lot of Italians. With Field Roast Sausage, I can enjoy this family favorite without the fat or cholesterol of sausage and without harming and beautiful creatures. Now that’s a good sandwich and good karma all rolled into one. Some people will add grilled onions to this sandwich, but I love the peppers so much I don’t want anything competing with them. You can try it both ways and decide for yourself. Enjoy!
Total Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 3 – 6 servings (1-2 sandwiches per person)
- 1 package Field Roast brand Sausage, any flavor
- 3 bell peppers, red or green, cut in half lengthwise, stem and seeds removed and discarded
- 6 whole grain hot dog buns
- Chives for garnish (optional)
- Cut peppers in half and roast under broiler until skins are blackened and blistered. Put cooked peppers into a paper bag and roll top of bag down so steam cannot escape. Allow to cool. When peppers have cooled, remove from bag and remove all blistered skin, which should come off easily. Cut into lengthwise strips.
- Remove plastic casings from Field Roast Sausages. Cut in half down middle and cook in nonstick pan. Do not add oil or salt. Cook until browned on all sides.