It seems that Acai Bowl shops are the new yogurt shops - they're popping up everywhere and thank goodness!.
Acai is so much healthier than frozen yogurt and it is usually served with fresh fruit instead of the high-cal candy offerings found at fro-yo bars.
Acai bowls can be pricey, especially if you eat them as often as I do, so I decided to make my own at home and it tastes just as delicious as store bought. I also know what I’m putting into mine. Some stores will add honey, yogurt and non-vegan products, so I prefer making my own vegan version.
If you’re not familiar with Acai (pronounced ah-sigh-EE), it is a superfood, specifically a dark berry similar to a grape, from the Amazon filled with antioxidants and omegas.
When prepared as instructed in this recipe, it tastes like a berry sorbet. You might feel like you’re having ice cream for breakfast, but rest-assured, this is a healthy and guilt-free pleasure. Let your imagination run wild. This is just one of my favorite ways to prepare it but you can top this with anything that you would use to top oatmeal, and it will always come out a winner.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: n/a
- 2 packets Sambazon Brand Pure Unsweetened Acai Superfruit Pack (these 3.5 oz. packages are sold in packs of four in the freezer section of your supermarket or specialty food store)
- 1 T. agave nectar
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or any nut milk)
- 5 bananas
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- 1/4 cup low fat granola, preferably no added sugar (recommended brand Nature’s Harvest sweetened with fruit juice)
- 1 T. slivered almonds
- 1 T. unsweetened coconut chips
- Mix the acai, ½ banana, agave nectar and almond milk in a high speed blender until fully blended and creamy.
- Add to bowl.
- Top with remaining fruit, granola, almond and coconut chips.