Oh, the smell of roasted peppers.
Whenever I’m whipping up a batch, I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, when she became intoxicated by the dizzying aroma of Poppies – except for the part where she passes out and gets captured by the evil monkey people.
The smell of roasted peppers is intoxicating but it invigorates me, and makes me want to find as many ways as possible to use this simple yet spellbinding ingredient.
So why not a breakfast burrito? If you roast the peppers the night before, you can cut down on the prep time, but if you do them in the morning, you can awaken your family (or yourself) to the come-hither aroma and know that it’s going to be the perfect start to your day.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 Minutes
- 4 Poblano Peppers
- 4 Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced (small)
- 1.5 cup diced red onion
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage (I like asian cabbage because it’s a little more tender, but you can use any type)
- 1 avocado
- Salt & fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing seeds stem and pith. Place face down on aluminum foil covered baking sheet under oven broiler until skins are charred (about 10 minutes, your oven time may vary.) Remove from oven and place in paper bag. Seal top of bag to keep steam from escaping. When peppers have cooled, remove and discard skin, but keep whole.
- Sauté small diced potatoes in oil in nonstick pan until cooked through, about five minutes. Add onions and mushrooms and continue to cook until all vegetables are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Place two pepper skins on top of each tortilla. Top with potato mixture. Add cilantro, cherry tomatoes avocado, cabbage and squeeze of fresh lime. Roll tortillas into burritos, by rolling one side of tortilla forward while tucking sides in until burrito is complete. Garnish with additional cilantro, onion and tomato if desired.