So moist, so yummy, you won't believe they're low in fat. No eggs, no butter, no problem! The flax egg, made from flax meal and water is all you need to bind this muffin and the sweet potato helps add a rich "buttery" element that is hard to believe, but they bake up perfectly every time!
By using the free-standing paper muffin cups, you eliminate any oil needed to grease the muffin tins and they’re every bit as good. They also make your muffins look extra special if you want to bring them to an event. These are listed as breakfast muffins but they can be enjoyed any time of day. They’re not super sweet but have a rich chocolate flavor. You can add more sweetness by adding the powdered sugar garnish – it’s completely up to you. For those who like their muffins bittersweet, they can do it sans powdered sugar and have some fresh fruit on the side. I like strawberries or raspberries with these muffins but it’s your call. These can also be made the night before so they’re perfect for busy people that want to eat and run.
Total Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 9 muffins
- 1.5 c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/3 c. cacao powder (you can also use cocoa powder)
- 1 Flax Egg (combine 1 T. fresh ground flax seed with 3 T. water. Mix and put in fridge for 15 minutes.This serves as an egg substitute. You can grind flax seed in a coffee grinder or high speed blender until powdery.)
- 1/3 c. mashed sweet potato (cook, steam or roast, then mash with fork)
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 c. agave nectar (or maple syrup)
- 1/3 c. coconut milk (or any type of nut milk)
- 1 t. vanilla
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cacao powder until fully incorporated.
- Mix remaining ingredients with mixer. Gradually add dry ingredient mixture in until fully incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Grease 9 muffin tins (out of a 12 tin muffin pan) or pour into ungreased self-standing muffin papers. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick piercing center of muffin comes out clean.