Bolognese sauce is traditionally a meat-based sauce that originated in Bologna, Italy. This is a plant-based version using my favorite plant-based ground meat, Beyond Meat, beefy crumbles.
Polenta is made from cornmeal and the easiest way to use it in a recipe is to get the precooked type that comes in a roll. You can slice, heat and serve this dish very quickly and end up looking like you’ve spent hours in the kitchen.
As with any recipe, using fresh herbs will make it taste extra special. I also use a jarred sauce that I believe tastes as good as my own homemade version. This recipe is perfect when you want something delicious but don’t have a lot of time. You can serve it as an appetizer or a main course.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups of Beyond Meat beefy crumbles
- 1 jar of Classico Tomato Basil Sauce (or any quality vegan pasta sauce)
- 1 package of precooked polenta (I use organic Ancient Harvest brand but you can use any brand)
- 4 T. vegan parmesan cheese (Go Veggie is my go-to brand for parmesan)
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Fresh ground black peper
- Cut polenta in 8 even slices (cut off the rounded ends first so all slices lay flat). You can toss the ends in a salad, soup or other dish.
- Saute the beef crumbles with sauce in a skillet until heated through. Warm the slices of polenta on low to medium heat in another skillet, covered, until heated through. You can also warm them in the microwave (about 60-90 seconds depending on your microwave).
- Place one slice of polenta on a plate with about 1/3 cup of the bolognese mixture. Top with another polenta slice and a spoonful of mixture on top. Add fresh basil on top. Garnish dish with additional sauce, parmesan cheese and fresh ground black pepper.
- Serve 1 to 2 polenta stacks per person, depending on whether or not this is an appetizer or main course.