It recently occurred to me that I don't eat a lot of bread - I eat a lot of toast. Every day. And not just for breakfast. For snacks, for dinner, for comfort!
Toast is so warm and satisfying when it is made with quality bread. And by quality bread, I mean bread that has sesames seeds, or caraway seeds, or oats or some other amazing topping that gives it a little extra texture, crunch and interest.
My favorite toast is made from Ezekiel or Genesis brand bread – these breads are not only vegan, but dense and satisfying. They can hold up to anything. For this recipe, however, I used a different bread. I wanted a very large slice of bread to hold up to this hearty topping and to be big enough for a meal. It’s almost like eating a salad sandwich. The warm, crunchy toast contrasts with the creamy avocado and the bright orange dressing coats the crunchy fennel and earthy heirloom tomatoes. It’s got a warm, comforting taste with a refreshing pop. It’s something unexpected, but I think you’ll love it.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 2 large slices of bread, preferably topped with sesame seeds, oats or other textured toppings
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup fennel, sliced thin (use the inner tender center of the fennel bulb)
- 4 Miniature heirloom tomatoes, cut in half
- Fennel fronds for garnish
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp. fresh squeezed orange juice (zest orange and set zest aside)
- 1/8 tsp. minced garlic
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Mash avocado with a squeeze of lemon. Set aside.
- Mix sliced fennel and tomatoes in dressing. Set aside.
- Toast bread in oven or toaster.
- Top toast with avocado.
- Place fennel and tomatoes on top of avocado.
- Drizzle dressing over the top.
- Add additional salt, pepper to taste.
- Top with orange zest and fennel fronds.
- Serve with orange wedges.