Have you ever noticed that the best tacos come from the most humble, hole-in-the-wall restaurants?
This recipe was inspired by my favorite vegan taco that I order regularly at a local eatery at the beach. It’s a humble venue that turns out some great food.
I visit regularly and always order the only vegan item on the menu. The tacos are make with artichokes, mushrooms, spinach and avocado, topped with a green tomatillo salsa. If you’ve never had green tomatillo salsa, you’re in for a treat. It’s a mild, fresh taste with a little acidity that works perfectly with these tacos.
I noticed when I ordered the tacos a few days ago, there was hardly any spinach – maybe 1 or 2 little leaves per taco – unacceptable! That’s when I tried making them myself at home and realized that there’s not a whole lot to this recipe – it’s super easy but full of flavor. And I can add as much spinach as I desire. I think I’ll be making them at home from now on. I hope you try this one, it’s a great twist on a traditional taco.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Level : Easy
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/2 T. vegetable oil
- 1- 12 oz. marinated jar artichoke hearts, lightly rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup baby spinach tightly packed
- 1/2 avocados cut into cubes
- 1 jar salsa verde (tomatillo salsa)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime (optional)
- Saute artichokes in oil on medium heat until heated through.
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms are soft, about three to five minutes.
- Add a little water to create steam and prevent from sticking.
- Add spinach until wilted, about one minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.