You will not believe that these muffins were made without eggs or butter!
They are moist and delicious with just the right amount of sweetness AND they’re low in fat if you omit the chopped pecans. They raise up nice and high and serve as a substantial breakfast muffin. The secret? I used mashed boiled or steamed sweet potato instead of the butter and a flax egg (flax meal plus water) instead of the egg. You get the binding ingredients of the egg, the sweetness of the sweet potato and no guilt, no way! I prepared mine with both fresh raspberries on the side and also with jam. I couldn’t decide which one I liked more, so you can decide for yourself. These are delicious enough to have for dessert as well. I made mine in square muffin tins but you can use a standard muffin tin.
Total Time 40 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
Yields 9 muffins
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 T. freshly ground flax meal (grind whole flax seeds in high speed blender, then measure 1 T.) mixed with 3 T. water, chilled in fridge for 15 minutes while preparing other ingredients.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3/4 c. agave nectar
- 1/3 c. cooked, mashed sweet potato (I buy frozen, cubed sweet potato in the freezer section then pull out just the amount I need for recipes.)
- 1/4 c. chopped pecans (optional)
- Coconut oil (approximately 1/2 to 1 T.)
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- 12-cup muffin tin
- 1.5 cups fresh raspberries or raspberry preserve
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in bowl until thoroughly incorporated. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix bananas, agave nectar, flax mixture, sweet potato and pecans (if using) until thoroughly blended. Slowly add in flour mixture until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Lightly oil 9 cups of a 12 cup muffin tin with coconut oil, just enough to keep muffins from sticking.
- Evenly distribute mixture to 9 of the cups. The rest will remain empty. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Let muffins cool approximately 10 minutes. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Serve with fruit preserves or fresh fruit.