I had to call my twin sister to get the ingredients to this recipe that my mother used to make.
It’s a comfort food made with a tiny pasta called Acini de Pepe (grains of pepper) and traditionally includes tiny meat balls. To make this quick and easy, I used Field Roast sausage slices instead of the meat balls and it turned out just like the original. I hope you enjoy it.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. white onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 c. baby spinach leaves, stems removed, loosely packed
- 3/4 c. “acini de pepe” pasta (small, granular pasta – if you cannot find this Israeli couscous is a good substitute)
- 8 c. vegetable broth
- 1 package Field Roast Italian Sausage, case removed, sliced at angle
- Vegan Parmesan cheese (Recommended brand, Go Veggie!)
- Sauté celery, onion and carrot in 1 T. olive oil until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to boil.
- Add pasta and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook according to package directions (about 8 minutes).
- When pasta is cooked, add sausage slices and spinach and stir until wilted, a few minutes. Sausage slices should be heated through and do not have to be cooked.
- Serve immediately and garnish with vegan parmesan cheese.