Have a hankerin’ for waffles but no time to fuss? No worries. These ooey-gooey waffle sandwiches can be whipped up in less than 10 minutes.
Just heat the waffle iron, coat it lightly with coconut oil. Spread almond butter on one slice and jelly on the other – just like you would make a PB&J. I like the almond butter for this recipe – it makes it a little more special.
Put the sandwich in the waffle iron, wait a few minutes until golden brown, sprinkle with powdered sugar, garnish with berries and enjoy.
Experiment with different fillings – hazelnut butter and vegan marshmallows (recommended brands, respectively Jason’s and Sweet & Sara). Try cashew butter, or other nut butters, strawberry preserves, raspberry, blackberry– you know the drill –whatever you’re craving. I like using a top quality preserve and raspberry is my favorite, but experiment to your heart’s content. You can even add banana or fresh fruit.
I’ve tried this recipe with and without spreading Earth Balance brand spread on the outside layers of bread to see if it would make a crispier sandwich. It really didn’t make that much of a difference, so I would recommend not using it because it is a fat, after all. The coconut oil alone should suffice.
Because of the oil and the powdered sugar, this is a bit of a decadent meal and I wouldn’t recommend it every day. But it’s a great once-in-a-while weekend treat that will bring out the kid in you.
Total Time: 8 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Coconut oil
- 4 slices of quality bread
- 4 T. Almond butter
- 4 T. quality raspberry preserves
- Powdered sugar
- Berries and mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Brush just enough coconut oil on a waffle iron to coat it.
- Make two almond butter and jelly sandwiches the same way you would make a standard PB&J.
- Put each sandwich in the waffle iron, one at a time. Heat until the bread is golden brown.
- You can cut the edges of the bread off or leave on, depending on your preference.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with berries.
- Serve warm.