Using pre-made ingredients is an excellent way to save time when making any meal. As long as they are quality products, your end-results will be delicious - this zucchini pizza is no exception.
In this recipe, I use fresh zucchini with a pre-made pizza crust and my favorite brand of marinara sauce. I also made a vegan “cheese” using only two ingredients – pine nuts and salt. It’s a very quick non-dairy cheese that adds all of the zest of real cheese with none of the cholesterol.
My non-vegan friend, Melissa, tasted this and told me she would actually order this in a restaurant instead of a pizza with meat toppings – that’s the ultimate compliment. The zucchini, which is sliced extra thin, looks delicate and inviting, making this quick-dish look very impressive. You don’t have to tell anyone that it’s only semi-homemade.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 7 – 10 minutes (per package directions
Yield: 2 personal pizzas
- 2-6” premade pizza shells (recommended brand Mama Mary’s)
- ½ c. quality marinara sauce (preferred brand Classico Tomato & Basil)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/8 cup pine nuts
- 1 t. salt
- 2 T. fresh basil cut in ribbons
- 1 T. red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (or recommended temperature of prepackaged pizza crusts)
- Slice zucchini in 1/8 inch thick slices using either a knife or a mandolin.
- Sprinkle zucchini with ½ t. salt and gently mix. Place zucchini in colander and let sit for 20 minutes. The salt will remove excess water from the zucchini.
- Place zucchini on paper towels and pat dry.
- Place ¼ c. marinara sauce on each pie crust.
- Arrange zucchini on pie crusts starting at the outer edge and working your way in, overlapping slices.
- Mix pine nuts with ½ t. salt in food processor until fully ground. The mixture will be slightly wet and pasty.
- Crumble pine nut mixture on top of pizzas.
- Bake pizzas directly on oven rack for 7-10 minutes, or as directed on crust package.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle pizzas with red pepper flakes and fresh basil. Serve immediately.