This lentil salad is light and hearty at the same time. The beans and couscous give it staying power to keep you full.
The burst of orange essence from the orange zest gives it a light citrusy flavor that keeps it from feeling heavy. You can serve this as a side dish or as a full meal. Either way, it’s an easy way to add a variety of colors, crunches and flavors along with healthful fiber.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes (concurrently with prepping)
Yield:4 entree servings
- 9 oz. cooked lentils, recommended brand Melissa’s, Steamed Ready to Eat (if using canned lentils rinse and drain).
- 1 c. cooked Israeli couscous cooked according to package directions (1/2 c. uncooked will yield 1 cup cooked),recommended Brand Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 carrot, diced small
- 1 stalk of celery diced small
- ½ c. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 T. chopped fresh mint
- ½ c. chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
- 1 green onion sliced on the diagonal
- 4 large butter lettuce leaves
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 T. balsamic vinegar
- Zest of 1 orange
Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Divide into four portions and serve on top of butter lettuce leaves. Top with additional green onion and tomato if desired.