In Southern California “chorizo” - a spicy Spanish-style sausage - is a popular ingredient in soups, breakfast dishes, burritos and tacos.
I was never a fan of chorizo, even in my meat-eating days but I do like a little spice especially when the weather gets colder. In this dish, I use Field Roast brand plant-based sausages. Field Roast actually makes a chorizo-style sausage which you can use in this dish. I’m partial to their Italian style but either one will work.
The black beans add to the heartiness of the soup and bring in lots of fiber to keep you full and healthy. While oregano is not a spice I use often (unless I’m making pizza), it works well in this soup and the cumin gives an authentic Mexican flavor.
My favorite part of this recipe is the toppings. Tofutti makes a sour cream substitute that adds so much creaminess without cholesterol. The green onions add a colorful crunch, and the crispy pan-friend Field Roast make it beautiful to look at. Finally, the cilantro adds so much freshness – if you are not a fan of cilantro, just add a handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley. I didn’t think to add it in this recipe, but a squeeze of lime would also be perfect. I finish it off with a dash of paprika for color and flavor. There’s a lot here for the eye and mouth to behold!
Enjoy this dish – let us know how you like it and post your vegan food creations and recipes on our Facebook page!
Total Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4-6 bowls of soup
- 5 T. olive oil
- t cups chopped yellow or white onion
- 1 package Field Roast Brand Sausage (Mexican Chipotle or Italian flavor)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 32 ounces of vegetable stock
- 3 cans black beans thoroughly rinsed and drained
- ½ t. dried oregano
- ½ t. cumin
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 t. salt or to taste
- 10-15 grinds of fresh black pepper from pepper mill or to taste
- 3 green onions, sliced diagonally for garnish
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- Vegan Sour Cream (recommended brand Tofutti)
- Remove plastic wrappers from Field Roast sausages. On all links except one, cut into small crumbles. Cut the remaining link into diagonal slices and set aside.
- Heat onion, garlic and celery in 1 T. olive oil on medium heat in large soup pot. Cook for five minutes until veggies are soft and translucent, stirring regularly. Be careful not to burn garlic.
- Add Field Roast (crumbles only) and continue to stir.
- Add stock beans and spices and bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove two ladles of soup (make sure bay leaves are not included) and place into blender. Puree until fully incorporated and creamy in texture. Add back to soup pot and stir, fulling incorporating puree into soup mixture.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Take the sausage cut on the diagonal and heat on medium high heat in .5 T. olive oil in non-stick skillet until thoroughly browned. These will be used as a garnish.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream, brown sausage pieces, green onion, cilantro and paprika.
Serve with bread or a salad.