Sandra Sellani co-author of the award-winning 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook (bit.ly/2JVMLBL) makes Susan's Stuffed Mushrooms. Ian's Natural Foods Bragg Live Food Products
Posted by Jane Velez-Mitchell on Sunday, August 20, 2017
Susan’s Stuffed Mushrooms with Basil & Walnuts
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
These bite-sized delights make a wonderful appetizer or side dish.–Susan
- 1 lb. package of white stuffing mushrooms (roughly 12-14 large mushrooms)
- ¾ c. tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 large garlic cloves
- ¼ c. walnuts
- ½ c. sliced zucchini, skin on
- 2 T. panko bread crumbs + extra for garnish
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 T. nutritional yeast
- ¼ t. salt, or to taste
- ¼ t. pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush any dirt off mushrooms with a damp cloth. (Tip: Never soak mushrooms in water–it makes them rubbery and tough.)
- Separate stems from caps. Set the mushroom caps aside.
- Put stems, basil, nuts, zucchini and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until coarse.
- Add lemon juice, nutritional yeast, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Pulse again until thoroughly combined.
- With a teaspoon, fill each cap with a heaping portion of the filling. Place in a baking dish, cover with vented foil, and bake for 25 minutes.
Serve warm with lemon wedge. Top with additional salt and pepper if desired, breadcrumbs and fresh basil leaves.