Cupcakes without the guilt? Count me in.
Carrot Coconut Cupcakes are an indulgence you can feel good about. The cupcakes are oil-free and sugar free. The optional frosting does contain organic powdered sugar, so I just use a dollop.
Sandra Sellani co-author of the award-winning 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook (bit.ly/2JVMLBL) makes Carrot Coconut Cupcakes on LunchBreakLIVE at 1230 PT/330 ET. www.facebook.com/JaneVelezMitchell/#vegan
Posted by Jane Velez-Mitchell on Sunday, April 1, 2018
Carrot Coconut Cupcakes with Cream “Cheese” Frosting from 40-Year-Old Vegan
- 1 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¾ t. baking powder
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ t. allspice
- 1 c. plus 2 T. unsweetened apple sauce
- ¾ c. maple syrup (or agave nectar)
- 2 flax eggs (2 T. flax meal + 6 T. water stirred, let set for 15 minutes)
- 1 c. grated carrots (about 2 – 3 large carrots)
- ½ c. unsweetened shredded, dried, organic coconut, plus extra for garnish
- ½ c. chopped pecans, plus extra for garnish
- 1 t. coconut extract
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix flour, baking, soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice in mixing bowl with wire whisk until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Set aside.
- Add Applesauce, maple syrup, flax eggs, vanilla and coconut extract to flour mixture. Stir with wire whisk until fully incorporated.
- Fold in carrots, coconut, pecans until fully incorporated.
- Pour into 12 standard cupcake cups in cupcake tin.
- Bake for 26 – 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
Cream “Cheese” Frosting
- ¼ c. vegan butter, preferred brand, Earth Balance
- ¼ c. vegan cream cheese, preferred brand Follow Your Heart
- 2 c. sifted, organic confectioner sugar
- 1 t. alcohol free vanilla, preferred brand, Singing Dog
- Mix butter and cream cheese until fully blended.
- Continue mixing and add powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time until fully incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract and mix until fully incorporated.
- Cover and keep in refrigerator until you are ready to frost the cupcakes.
- Place in pastry bag and frost each cupcake.
- Sprinkle with additional coconut, chopped pecans and shredded carrots. Serve immediately.