The Italian Wedding Cookie has many variations - this one uses cranberries for an extra special holiday treat.
Just six ingredients and you’ve got delicious, traditional cookies just in time for the holidays…
- ¾ c. vegan butter (Earth Balance sticks areideal for this recipe – use 1 ½ sticks)
- ¼ c. plus 2 T. organic confectioner’s sugar plusan additional ½ cup for rolling/garnish
- 1 large pinch salt
- ¾ c. finely ground pecans
- ½ c. coarsely chopped pecans
- ½ c. dried cranberries, cut in half or minced
- 1 T. pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 c. sifted all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In electric mixer, combined vegan butter withsugar and salt until fully incorporated. Pause to scrape mixture from sides of bowl and beaters.
- Add ground pecans and continue to mix untilcombined. Gradually add flour untilfully combined and dough starts to form, scraping sides of bowl to incorporate.
- Remove mixer bowl and add chopped pecans and cranberries– fold in by hand with a spatula until the nuts and berries are evenlydistributed.
- Use hands to form dough into a ball. It should feel like cold “Play-dough”. Ensure that the dough is fully mixed.
- Form balls by taking 1 T. of mixture and rollingin hands. Place each ball on parchment paper on a cookiesheet. Mixture will yield 24 – 30 cookies.
- Bake for 20 minutes. The cookies should not brown.
- Let cool for five minutes.
- Place ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar on a plate androll cookies in the sugar until coated. Cookies should still be slightly warm. Shake off excess sugar. Put on a separate plate and sprinkle with additionalsugar by placing sugar in a sieve and tapping sieve to “dust” the cookies.
- Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from All Recipes.