The heat is on with tempeh in a fiery hot sauce, cooled with ranch and wrapped in lettuce.
If you’ve never tried tempeh, you’re in for a treat. I used to eat tempeh straight out of the package, and you certainly can eat it that way, but the real magic happens when you find a great sauce, marinate it and bake it up into a crispy, flavorful nugget of goodness. Tempeh is about 16 grams of protein per serving and it really satisfies. This sauce is hot and spicy but cooled down with a creamy ranch. It’s currently my favorite way to eat tempeh but I plan to experiment with more sauces.
Fiery Tempeh & Cool Ranch Wraps
40 YOV Ranch Dressing Ingredients
- ½ c. cashews soaked in water for four hours or overnight and rinsed
- ¼ – ½ c. water
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 2 T. rice wine vinegar
- 1.5 T. natural liquid sweetener, preferred brand, Steviva Ketose Sweet
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ t. dry basil
- ¾ t. salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
Fiery Sauce Ingredients
- ¼ c. hot sauce, preferred brand Tapatio
- ¼ c. 40YOV Ranch dressing
- 1/8 t. pepper
- 1/8 . garlic salt
- 2 t. natural liquid sweetener, preferred brand, Steviva Ketose Sweet
- 1 – 8.5 oz. package tempeh, preferred brand Lightlife
- Head of Romaine lettuce, leaves separated washed and patted dry
- Flat leaf Italian parsley or chives, cleaned and chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Remove tempeh from packaging and cut into ¼ inch strips, widthwise, or thinner if you like a crispier finished product.
- Optional pre-steaming. (Some people believe this takes the bitterness out of the tempeh, but I have omitted this step and it still tastes great). Place pieces in pot or sauce pan. Cover with water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for ten minutes. This will remove any bitter taste from the tempeh. Remove from water and dry on paper towel.
- To make the Ranch Dressing, combine all ingredients in blender until smooth. Star with ¼ cup water and add more depending on the consistency you prefer. Reserve ¼ cup of the ranch, to add to the Fiery Sauce recipe.
- For the Fiery Sauce ingredients, mix all ingredients in mixing bowl. Add the tempeh slices to the bowl and coat thoroughly being careful not to break the tempeh. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Place the tempeh on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. There will be some sauce left over in the mixing bowl – reserve for later. Place pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and turn the tempeh. Brush with the hot sauce and return to oven for another five minutes. You should still have a small amount of sauce left over.
- Place two slices of tempeh while still hot onto a lettuce leaf. Brush with a small amount of sauce and drizzle with ranch. Top with fresh parsley. Serve immediately. Serves 2-3.
Options: You can also serve the tempeh in a tortilla or on a bun. I prefer the lettuce because of the contrast of hot and cold.