TVP is the secret ingredient to make this soup taste like a stuffed bell pepper - great texture and protein content make it an excellent substitute for ground meat.
TVP is a great addition to any dish in which you are trying to imitate a ground beef, turkey or pork ingredient. This plant-based protein will give you the texture you desire without the fat and cholesterol. TVP is soy flour with the fat removed. It has about 12 grams of protein per serving.
Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup with TVP (Vegan)
- 2 c. TVP (textured vegetable protein) + 2 c. vegetable broth (pour hot broth on TVP and let sit for 10 minutes to reconstitute), preferred brand TVP, Bob’s Red Mill
- 2 c. green pepper, diced small
- 2 c. brown rice, cooked
- 1 c. onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 c. vegetable broth
- 1 – 26.46 oz. Pomi brand strained tomatoes
- 1 – 26.46 oz. Pomi brand chopped tomatoes
- ¼ c. tomato paste
- ¼ c. Ketose Sweet liquid sweetener
- 2 t. salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- Saute onion and green pepper in water on medium high heat in soup pot until veggies are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except for parsley. Simmer for 20 minutes
- Serve hot topped with fresh parsley
For more great recipes, get the 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook on amazon.com or visit www.40YOV.com