Polenta is the ultimate Italian comfort food. Enjoy!
Baked Polenta with Mushrooms and Marinara from 40-Year-Old Vegan
- 1 c. polenta
- 3 c. water
- 1 T. vegan butter
- ½ t. salt or to taste
- 1/3 c. nutritional yeast
- 1 package Kite Hill brand vegan Ricotta
- 4 c. marinara sauce
- 4 T. fresh basil, cut into ribbons
- 2 T. fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
- 8 oz. fresh whole white mushrooms, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 T. vegan butter
- Splash of white wine (optional)
- Red pepper flakes
- 4 T. toasted pine nuts
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut a piece of wax paper to fit the size of a 8”x 5” (24 oz capacity) rectangular baking dish.
- Mix ricotta with 2 T fresh basil, chopped, until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Bring 3 cups of water to boil and add polenta. Whisk in polenta and lower heat. Cook on low heat until mixture becomes thick, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vegan butter and nutritional yeast until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into baking dish lined with wax paper. Put a few drops of oil between the wax paper and the dish to keep paper in place.
- Bake polenta for 15 minutes until heated through. Remove it from dish by pulling up on the paper. Set it on a cutting board with paper still attached to cool. After it cools, remove the paper. Cut a thin slice off each edge to make it smooth. Then cut into four triangles by cutting a large “X” through the center of the polenta cake.
- Saute mushrooms in 2T of vegan butter on medium heat. Cook and stir until tender, about five minutes. Add a splash of white wine and increase heat to burn alcohol from the wine. Stir another two minutes. Remove from heat. Add parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Heat marinara in saucepan until hot, about five minutes.
- Place 1 c. of marinara on plate. Place one triangle of polenta on plate. Top with an ice cream scoop full of ricotta. Put ¼ of the mushroom mixture on top. Top with a pinch of red pepper flakes and 1 T. of toasted pine nuts. Sprinkle additional fresh basil on top and serve immediately.